[tex-live] LuaTeX/ Filenames with accented characters on Windows

Patrick Gundlach patrick at gundla.ch
Sun Sep 30 19:48:46 CEST 2018

Hello all,

I have problems with LuaTeX 1.0.7 from TeXlive using Windows 7, 32 bits. I try to load an image with

img.scan{...}

! error:  (pdf backend): reading image file 'Z:\foo\cöw.pdf' failed
!  ==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!

See this mail to the LuaTeX mailing list:

https://tug.org/pipermail/luatex/2018-September/006953.html

and it's follow-up

https://tug.org/pipermail/luatex/2018-September/006954.html

which suggests that I should ask here, since there seems no problem with MikTeX's version of LuaTeX.

The code that is used (I don't have a TeXlive 2018 installation on windows) is

\documentclass{article}
\begin{document}%
\directlua{
a = img.write({ filename = "cöw.pdf"})