[luatex] More on loading non-ascii filenames on windows

Patrick Gundlach patrick at gundla.ch
Sun Sep 30 11:45:32 CEST 2018

Hello again,

I am still struggling with loading images with filenames on windows. (My test environment is windows 7, 32 bit)

I now bypass lua file system to build a file list, so I have all filenames encoded as UTF-8. Now I try to pass a filename to

img.scan{...}

But as I understand, Windows is not happy about the UTF8 filenames, so what should I do?

! error:  (pdf backend): reading image file 'Z:\foo\cöw.pdf' failed
!  ==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!

I have tried to pass the CP1250 value for ö (\f6) but this gives me:

I/O Error: Couldn't open file 'c<f6>w.pdf': No error.

! error:  (pdf inclusion): reading image failed
!  ==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!

So, I am clueless....

Patrick