[tex-live] (no subject)

Michael Shell list1 at michaelshell.org
Tue Sep 18 21:45:01 CEST 2018

On Mon, 17 Sep 2018 21:19:40 GMT
Karl Berry <karl at freefriends.org> wrote:

> It's likely we'll remove all 32-bit machines from the DVD image (not
> from TL) next year in order to gain enough space.

IMHO, if we have reached a point where space is that tight, then we've
reached the point where the media capacity needs to be expanded. How
much space will deleting 32 bit support gain and how much time before
that is not enough? And have other features already been removed in
the past to gain needed space?

I for one would be willing to pay a little bit more to get *everything*.
Who knows when an old 32 bit machine has to be brought into service as
a backup system when its modern replacement develops a problem? And
those old machines are exactly the ones where compiling from source is
such a lengthy ordeal, where binaries are of the most help. How about
folks in the less developed countries who are still using older machines
(a major feature of TeX is that it does not require much processing
power).

Tex Live is currently using double layer DVDs with a capacity of about
8.3 GB. And data compression techniques are already being employed.

Sandisk 16GB USB flash drives can now be had for $5.49:
https://www.adorama.com/idscbu16gb.html
A better deal can be obtained at higher quantities and/or off brands.
For example:
https://www.amazon.com/TOPSELL-10PCS-Flash-Pack-Memory-Storage/dp/B016RO18JO
$3.23 each in qty 10.

32GB units are in the $6-$10 range:
https://www.amazon.com/PNY-Attache-Flash-Drive-P-FD32GX5ATT03-MP/dp/B01MQ0RR5O/
https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Ultra-Flash-Drive-Performance/dp/B01EG72D1Q

but one has to be careful to only use reputable sellers (not Ebay, not
Amazon third party sellers) to avoid all the fakes out there. Be sure
and check the reviews for reliability. I myself would stick to well known
brands such as Kingston, Sandisk and PNY even if they cost a little
more.

As far as USB drives with logos and/or preloading services go, see:
http://blog.notdot.net/2009/12/DIY-USB-preloading-with-nix
and also do a search for

USB flash drive bulk preloading

But watch out that many of the preloading services don't support
preloads more than 1-2 GB, well, at least not at the $0.50/drive
level.

Also, search EBay for

USB flash drive duplicator

They run about $2000 per 30 drive-at-once capability:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/SySTOR-1-31-USB-Memory-Stick-Duplicator-Jump-Drive-Wiper-Copy-Flash-Media-Data/142942568899
and there are units that can do more than 170 at once:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/SySTOR-1-174-Standalone-Multiple-USB-Port-Duplicator-Flash-Drive-Cloner-Sanitize/192661338502

Once the move is made to an "actively evolving media" such as SD cards
or USB flash drives, then we can ride the wave of Moore's law instead
of being stuck with the now-forever-fixed capacity of DVD.

I assume that bluray is not a viable option here because of the
significant percentage of machines that do not have bluray read
capability.

Another approach would be to go to a 2 DVD package, but we'd be
riding a linear, not exponential, media capacity wave there.

  Just my $0.02,

  Mike Shell