[tex-live] ICC profiles for PDF/A compliance

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 10:55:41 CEST 2018

> On Thu, 13 Sep 2018 at 04:32, Peter Selinger wrote:
> >
> > As I understand it, there isn't really any reason to include non-free
> > profiles. It should be possible to just replace the ones we currently
> > have with free ones. -- Peter
>
> That's approximately like saying that it should be fully sufficient to
> ship just a single font with TeX Live, or to use just a single font in
> every single document.
> Sure, we need a default font, and if all you want to do is to transfer
> some text to another person, you don't really care if it's all done in
> a free version of Comic Sans.
>
> I'm not an expert here, but if one single profile was all that was
> needed, it wouldn't be required to specify it at all.
>
> We are talking about having at least one free profile which could be
> used by default, but some additional ones, even if distributed only
> via tlcontrib, would certainly help.

The specification requires an ICC profile to be included but no further
requirement is implied. For users who have just simple colour plots
any profile is acceptable and the default sRGB will do the job For
other applications a special (non-free) profile can be needed. Thus
having one or a few free profiles and other profiles in tlcontrib is
IMHO the best solutions.

> Mojca

Zdeněk Wagner
http://icebearsoft.euweb.cz