[tex-live] ICC profiles for PDF/A compliance

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 07:17:20 CEST 2018

On Thu, 13 Sep 2018 at 04:11, Norbert Preining wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> > It should go in texmf-dist/tex/generic/<pkgname>, where <pkgname> is
> > *what gets uploaded to CTAN*. Please do not create it on the fly in TL
> > just because you can :).
>
> Of course not. What about
>         colorprofiles
> and
>         colorprofiles-nonfree
> Both could be uploaded to CTAN, while the former one would be included
> in TL, the later one in tlcontrib.
>
> I can set up a github repo that collects all the profiles with license
> information and creates both packages for upload to CTAN.
>
> Target dir would be as discussed
>         TEXMF/tex/generic/$pkg

This sounds reasonable to me.

> It is still unclear to me which one should be put into the free package,

Same here :)

On Thu, 13 Sep 2018 at 04:32, Peter Selinger wrote:

> As I understand it, there isn't really any reason to include non-free
> profiles. It should be possible to just replace the ones we currently
> have with free ones. -- Peter

That's approximately like saying that it should be fully sufficient to
ship just a single font with TeX Live, or to use just a single font in
every single document.
Sure, we need a default font, and if all you want to do is to transfer
some text to another person, you don't really care if it's all done in
a free version of Comic Sans.

I'm not an expert here, but if one single profile was all that was
needed, it wouldn't be required to specify it at all.

We are talking about having at least one free profile which could be
used by default, but some additional ones, even if distributed only
via tlcontrib, would certainly help.

Mojca