[tex-live] Installing Tex-Live on a Windows 10 computer

Siep Kroonenberg siepo at bitmuis.nl
Tue Sep 11 12:43:38 CEST 2018

On Mon, Sep 10, 2018 at 09:13:23PM -0400, London Lowmanstone wrote:
> Hello tex-live,
>
> I am trying to install Tex-Live on a Windows 10 computer, but am running
> into a very specific error that has been described online on
> tex.stackexchange <https://tex.stackexchange.com/q/445086>.

Although it is tar that fails, the top two quoted log output lines are:

xz: (stdin): Compressed data is corrupt

which points to a problem with the mirrror.

As to tar etc:

The installer prefers the included tar.

As to curl, wget, lz4, gzip and xz, the installer first checks the
searchpath, and uses the included version as a fallback. Here, wget
serves as a fallback for curl if curl is not found.

As to permissions: I never had trouble creating a new subdirectory in
C:\. But if you install as a regular user, you should make sure that
is no C:\texlive already there to which you cannot write. Otherwise,
create a new directory with another name.

--
Siep Kroonenberg