[tex-live] using luatex53 - format not found

Norbert Preining norbert at preining.info
Sun Oct 7 15:02:27 CEST 2018

Hi Ulrike,

as David said, luatex53 *is* luatex in the sense that it uses it as
internal kpse name. That means if you want it to work out of the box
you need to switch completely, that is copy luatex53 onto luatex.

Not that I think this was a good decision by upstream, but so it is.

Again, as David said, the best way is to
* generate the format
* move the .fmt file to TEXMF/web2c/luatex/lualatex53.fmt
* use lualatex53 -fmt=lualatex53
I am not 100% sure this will work, but I think it should.

If you want to trick fmtutil, then there is *one* way I coded some time
ago specifically for luatex -- but it was made irrelevant by the current
setup.

You can rename in all your stuff the
	53
part to
	-dev
That means you would rename luatex53 to luatex-dev, etc. fmtutil has a
special feature that it strips "-dev" from the engine name if found.

That is the best one can do on the automatic side. Of course you can
patch fmtutil near the following code:
  } else {
    $fmtfile .= ".fmt" ;
    $kpsefmt = "tex" ;
    $enginedir = $eng;
    # strip final -dev from enginedir to support engines like luatex-dev
    $enginedir =~ s/-dev$//;
  }
by mapping luatex53 to luatex (add this line)
    $enginedir = "luatex" if ($eng eq "luatex53");
but also this kind of patching is not optimal.

Sorry for not being more of help.

Best

Norbert

Accelia Inc.     +    JAIST     +    TeX Live     +    Debian Developer