[tex-live] inclusion of texlive-includernw

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Sat Nov 10 18:59:52 CET 2018

The inclusion in current texlive of texlive-includernw (depending in
packaged systems on R-knitr, not a texlive component), and its listing in
texlive-collection-mathscience, hence in texlive-scheme-medium, is causing
havoc for those who upgrade texlive because texlive-includernw tries to
install R and many R packages without checking whether they are installed
elsewhere. I can't see a list of maintainers of
texlive-collection-mathscience, so cannot see how to get
texlive-includernw de-listed urgently. It should be free-standing only,
and should be re-written to check for dependency availability on R at the
level of the user rather than root at install time. This probably cannot
be done. The package should actually do the checking at run time only,
providing helpful messages only.

The problem may be an over-ambitious Texlive Fedora packager - the issue
hit me on upgrading from Fedora 28 to Fedora 29 today.

Roger Bivand

--
Roger Bivand
Helleveien 30, N-5045 Bergen, Norway.