[tex-live] poppler private API

Heinz Wiesinger HMWiesinger at liwjatan.at
Sun May 27 17:38:43 CEST 2018

On Sunday, 27 May 2018 16:54:49 CEST Norbert Preining wrote:
> Hi Heinz,
>
> > Currently a couple of tools shipped with texlive use libpoppler, which is
> > private API and not supposed to be used directly. Instead one of the
> > frontend libraries (libpoppler-cpp, libpoppler-glib, libpoppler-qt5)
> > should be used.
> >
> > Please consider porting those to use the public API. libpoppler bumps the
> > so- version with pretty much every release, which happens almost every
> > month, and recompiling texlive every month because of a new poppler
> > release is no fun.
> Yes indeed, poppler is a pain ;-) Do you have any suggestion, i.e. patch
> for porting the functionality?

No, not yet at least. I figured I start off with a mail/bug report and see
where that leads :)

I read a little bit into it already, but I know pretty much nothing about
either poppler or texlive, which leaves me a bit at a disadvantage.

> I faintly remember in very old days when poppler was first used it
> wasn't possible to use the necessary functionality via the public api,
> but that might have changed.

That's certainly a possibility. If that's the case it would be nice to figure
out the functionality needed and bring it to the attention of the poppler
devs.

> On a different front, why do you need to recompile TL every month? The
> binaries we ship don't use external poppler.

Linux distro packages, Slackware in my case :)

Grs,
Heinz