[tex-live] MacTex Bug: wget.x86_64-darwin is missing HTTPS support

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Thu May 17 00:55:21 CEST 2018

On 2018-05-16 at 17:19:14 +0200, Sebastian Gerecke wrote:

 > As you said, that's the version from MacPorts. TexLive uses its own
 > version of wget. You'll find it under
 >
 > /usr/local/texlive/2018/tlpkg/installer/wget/wget.x86_64-darwin
 >
 > The problem is, that the bundled version does not support
 > HTTPS. Therefore, tlmgr update fails when using a repository using
 > https.
 >
 > As I said, I consider this to be a bug since the Windows version
 > doesn't have that problem.

The problem is that wget doesn't support SSL by itself.  If it's
compiled with +https it just expects external libraries and maybe
other resources to be installed.

Missing SSL support is annoying, of course.  But it doesn't make sense
to add stuff to TeX Live which is provided by the operating system
already.  Instead of spending a lot of time in order to provide nasty
workarounds, it's better to adapt the installer and tlmgr to use curl
on systems where wget is not available.  I suppose that curl is always
installed on OS X and *BSD while wget is ubiquitous on Linux.

For the time being I recommend to install a separate wget if SSL
support is required.  It certainly takes some time until TeX Live
supports curl but volunteers are always welcome.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25
D-30167 Hannover                    mailto:reinhard.kotucha at web.de