[tex-live] TeXLive 2018 (Windows): unclear message from the installer

Ilya Zakharevich nospam-abuse at ilyaz.org
Tue Jun 19 17:35:33 CEST 2018

At the end of the installation, I received the following message from
PerlTk-version of installer (on Windows):

 Welcome to TeX Live!

 The following environment variables contain the string "tex"
 (case-independent).  If you're doing anything but adding personal
 directories to the system paths, they may well cause trouble
 somewhere while running TeX.  If you encounter problems, try
 unsetting them.  Please ignore spurious matches unrelated to TeX.

    USE_TEXLIVE=D:\...

===========================

There are two issues with this message:

A) It is not saved in a .log file.

   How would I be able to “try unsetting them” if the list disappears
   when I close the window?

B) The message is not very comprehensible (to put it mildly).  I
   propose to restate it like this:

 Your system defines the following environment variables containing
 the string "tex" (case-independent).  Some variables of this form
 have a chance to cause trouble somewhere when running TeX.

    USE_TEXLIVE=D:\...

 Please inspect the list above.  If you encounter problems, try
 unsetting these variables.  (To find how, search for
      set environment variables in windows
 on the web.)

 In the list above, please ignore spurious matches unrelated to TeX,
 and variable which only add personal directories to the system paths.