[tex-live] texlive 2018 doesn't work on redhat/centos 6

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Tue Apr 10 01:23:59 CEST 2018

    They will maintain this already seven-years-old release for
    another two years

I'm as unhappy about losing CentOS6 (and who knows what other older
distros) support as anyone. However, ICU and Poppler both decided to
require C++11 in their current releases, and there was no feasible way
to handle that without using a newer build system.

I've noticed that other programs also started to fail on CentOS6. Chrome
was one I remember, probably other browsers and other "big"
programs. Even with my rather minimal needs, I had to move to CentOS7 :(.

    http://tug.org/texlive/quickinstall.html that reads something like:

Not quickinstall, but bugs.html. Will think about other avenues too.

If quickinstall tried to list every caveat on every system, it would no
longer be about installing (or quick) ... -k