[tex-live] Auto-removal of packages

Norbert Preining norbert at preining.info
Sun Apr 1 03:20:55 CEST 2018

Hi Mojca,

> Is this expected behaviour of tlmgr?

Well, kind of.

> > tlmgr remove context

'tlmgr remove' removes also all dependencies that are not required by
any other package.

Since we don't have a status database like debian where packages
can be / are marked as auto-installed and only those are auto-removed,
there is only this way, or making removal a single package only option.

Since most users (I guess) use tlmgr install with collections and then
remove the collections, the current operation mode does indeed make
sense, but it fails, as you found out, for single packages.

What I CAN think about is the following:
- if the removed package is a collection, remove all depending packages
  that are not required by something else
- if the removed package is a normal package, don't remove depending
  packages.

What this be more senseful? Or create more complications due to
complicated explanations?

Karl?

All the best

Norbert

Accelia Inc.     +    JAIST     +    TeX Live     +    Debian Developer