[tex-live] Auto-removal of packages

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Mon Apr 2 00:56:08 CEST 2018

    'tlmgr remove' removes also all dependencies that are not required by
    any other package.

By default. We already have --no-depends and --no-depends-at-all for both
tlmgr remove and install.
http://tug.org/texlive/doc/tlmgr.html#remove-option-...-pkg
http://tug.org/texlive/doc/tlmgr.html#install-option-...-pkg

Although in this case it's surely strange to see more packages removed
than installed, it would also be strange if the operations were not
defined symmetrically. That is, if those dependent packages were
installed as the result of an explicit tlmgr install, it would be
expected for them to be uninstalled by tlmgr remove.

Since there is no way to do it perfectly without a lot more work (the
how-it-got-installed status Norbert mentions), I think leaving it alone
is better than churning the behavior. -k