[tex-live] behaviour of kpsewhich on case-insensitive mac system

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Wed Sep 20 00:45:05 CEST 2017

The problem with case sensitivity is as follows:

A user on a case insensitive file system has files MAIN.TEX and
CHAPTER1.TEX. The MAIN.TEX contains the following line:

\input chapter1

The files are then sent to someone else wit a case sensitive file system.
The compilation will fail because chapter1.tex does not exist. If it is
just a fone failing file, it is not a big proble but imagine that you sned
a whole book with dozen chapters each of which includes dozen images and
the file names have wrong case. It is horror to make such document compile.
And some users include an image several times using different case each
time, e.g. \includegraphics{myimage1}, \includegraphics{MyImage1},
\includegraphics{Myimage1.EPS}, \includegraphics{MyImage1.Eps} etc. Believe
me, I had to process such books and it may take dozen hours to make it work.

Zdeněk Wagner
http://icebearsoft.euweb.cz