[tex-live] FTP requires password

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Mon Jun 5 00:05:13 CEST 2017

    The formerly publicly available

Formerly, and still.

    now requires user name and password:

No, it doesn't. I've seen this happen when an ftp client wrongly
interprets a connection failure as "needs a username/pw", when the
actual error (as reported) is "limit of available anonymous connections
reached, try again later".

I intentionally restrict the number of simultaneous anon connections to the
tug ftp server because spiders, browsers and others commonly (ab)use it.

FWIW, I haven't yet seen a need to restrict rsync access, and the entire
ftp tree is available through rsync too ... -k