[tex-live] dvisvgm

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Sat Jun 3 22:05:05 CEST 2017

On 3 June 2017 at 16:39, jfbu wrote:
> Le 3 juin 2017 à 14:37, Norbert Preining a écrit :
>
>> If you can build binaries of the two on old systems, please do so and send me them.
>
> If this is feasible I will, but I can't in immediate future.
>
>  I hope no admin rights needed?

You don't need admin rights for compiling TL (unless compiler and some
other build prerequisites are missing), but you don't even need it to
install TL.

A more important thing than the binary itself would be figuring out
which linux distribution & version and which compiler to use to be
able to compile dvisvgm (C++11) while retaining as much backward
compatibility as possible.

> I do understand naturally that binary builds have constraints related to architectures.
> More problematic probably than
> the `-o` problem with dvisvgm is that its 1.15.1 release does not support TL2017 xetex

We didn't know this at the time of compiling TL 2017 binaries. When
weighing between having outdated software on a legacy platform and a
non-functional binary on older platforms, I decided for an outdated
binary. But if that's a problem with that, I guess I can fix it. The
options are:

- build with the latest clang against libc++ which will only work on
10.7 and later (or theoretically also on 10.6 with libc++ installed
manually / with MacPorts)
- figure out if -D_GLIBCXX_USE_CXX11_ABI=0 would work with the latest
gcc to link against the system libstdc++

The fastest way for you to get it working would be to compile dvisvgm
yourself with CXXFLAGS="-stdlib=libc++".

Mojca