[tex-live] texhash not updating ls-R-TEXLIVEDIST

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Fri Dec 8 20:42:22 CET 2017

Hi all,

similar thing happened to me when I installed TeX Live as root, then added
texmf-local and placed some files there and created ls-R files as a normal
user, then updated TeX Live as root and then installed a few new files into
texmf-local as a normal user. During update even the ls-R files in
texmf-local were regenerated and now owned by root, therefore when
installing later files into texmf-local the ls-R could not be updated by a
normal user. So the problem is certainly in the ownership of the ls-R files.

And as George wrote, if you run a command in terminal, the setting of the
whole environment (including PATH) is taken from ~/.bashrc but if you write
it from a menu of a program started by GUI, the environment is taken from
~/.bash_profile, so you must ensure that both load the same settings. If
you change ~/.bashrc, it is sufficient to open a new terminal, if you
change ~/.bash_profile, you must log off and on. These are not bugs but
documented behaviour, see your Linux manual.

Zdeněk Wagner
http://icebearsoft.euweb.cz