[tex-live] texhash not updating ls-R-TEXLIVEDIST

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Fri Dec 8 20:12:59 CET 2017

On 8 December 2017 at 14:17, David Carlisle <d.p.carlisle at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 8 December 2017 at 13:58,  <gml at garymlewis.com> wrote:
> > Hi -
> >
> > This problem started with a "ebgaramond.sty not found" error when
> running a
> > tex file in TexMaker.

> > does not add the sty file.
> >
> > Brief synopsis (reboots not identified):
> > 1. Reinstalled OS (Ubuntu 16.04 LTS)

This is very rarely useful and doesn't give you an opportunity to find a
solution to
the original issue.

> > 2. Reinstalled complete texlive (as sudo).

A better approach is to pick a texlive administrator (e.g., the regular
user of a
single-user systems), use "sudo" to create /usr/local/texlive and transfer
ownership to the texlive administrator.   Now that it is installed, a
"chown -R ..."
can fix things.

> > 3. Reinstalled TexMaker (as sudo).

Did you use a package from the temaker site or somethings else?

> 4. Added /usr/local/texlive/2017/bin/x86_64-linux to $PATH in .bashrc.
> > 5. Ran sudo texhash.
> > 6. Ran myfile.tex in TexMaker. Same error: ebgaramond.sty not found.

Have you tried running texmaker from the command line where pdflatex
works?  A GUI program started from a menu may not get the same PATH as
a shell program.

> 7. grep -i "ebgaramond.sty" ls-R-TEXLIVEDIST returns nothing.
> > 8. But, running pdflatex myfile.tex from the command line works fine (sty
> > file is found).
> >
> > Is this a known bug? If not, what other information can I provide now?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Gary Lewis
>
> I would guess that your editor is using the system tex that came with
> ubuntu not finding the one you just installed. either because it is
> using some explicit path like /usr/bin/pdflatex or because it is using
> a different PATH
>
> David

I agree with David.  You might get better advice from the TexMaker
site.

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia