[tex-live] TL platforms vs. dpkg-architecture

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Sat May 28 01:01:11 CEST 2016

    Why are some platforms listed with 'amd64' (e.g., bsd), while others are
    listed with 'x86_64' (e.g., linux)?

Just because we follow the prevailing naming convention of the os, and
(unfortunately) different os's have chosen different names for the
hardware.

config.guess always returns x86_64, but (as I recall) years ago when we
first started having the 64-bit bsd builds, the builders and/or users
wished that the name would be the one they were familiar with.

Regardless of name, what's done is just normal 64-bit builds on the
given system.  There's no actual distinction being made between 64-bit
AMD and Intel, just as Zdenek supposed.  -k