[tex-live] TL platforms vs. dpkg-architecture

Andreas Scherer andreas_tex at freenet.de
Fri May 27 14:58:54 CEST 2016

Am Freitag, 27. Mai 2016, 20:47:08 schrieb Norbert Preining:
> > My problem is to find common variables that work on both machines. (See
> > https://github.com/ascherer/debbuild/ for details.) I started with using
>
> What do you need that for? What is the aim for it? Debian anyway
> use self-compiled, so the names as used by TL are not very important.

Hi Norbert,

my exposé was a tad brief, so let me amend: The TeXlive installations on both
my computers work perfectly by setting $PATH appropriately in ~/.bashrc. (And
I do _not_ try to use a single set of TL binaries on both.)

The issue at hand is the macro setting for %__texlive_bin in
https://github.com/ascherer/debbuild/blob/master/macros/macros.texlive#L10
which I try to make use variables from
https://github.com/ascherer/debbuild/blob/master/macros/macros.in
that are set by 'dpkg-architecture' in
https://github.com/ascherer/debbuild/blob/master/scripts/post.sh
when 'debbuild' is installed on a particular machine.

This 'debbuild' script is used to create installation packages in .deb format
from descriptions in rpm's .spec file format. The problem occurs in one of my
.spec files, which uses %__latex and thus %__texlive_bin. The latter can not be
defined to work on both 'linux' systems with different 'arch' and 'host_cpu'
settings, because neither can be synched with TL's idea of 'platform' (or
'arch') as described earlier.

Thanks for explaining the 'config.guess' approach used by TL. I think I can
cope with my partical situation (I'll dispose of machine A RSN anyway) and
there were no complains from 'debbuild' users to date.

Cheers, Andreas