[tex-live] Fontspec overriding default paper size with LuaTeX

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at icloud.com
Thu May 26 14:29:11 CEST 2016

On a TL 2016 pretest setup (installed via MacTeX), complete with all updates etc., and A4 as the default paper size, typesetting the attached minimal test file with LuaLaTeX yields A4 PDF output. But as soon as fontspec is called, output switches to US Letter.

To be fair, I don't think fontspec does anything in this respect, but it calls

- components from LaTeX 3 (like texmf-dist/tex/latex/l3kernel/expl3-code.tex)

- various files from "Oberdiek" directories (like texmf-dist/tex/generic/oberdiek/pdftexcmds.sty)

- luaotfload.sty

I have no idea what's causing the observed behaviour -- any of the above, or something else.

This has been reported to the MacTeX list (private) and brought there to Norbert's attention, but given this seems a wider-ranging bahaviour I'm reporting here as well.

The same doesn't happen with TL 2015 (I just tried).

Bruno Voisin