[tex-live] Pretest: perl coredumps

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Fri May 6 18:10:40 CEST 2016

Norbert - back in
  http://tug.org/pipermail/tex-live/2016-April/038320.html
Nikola reported tlmgr -gui (=> Perl => Perl::Tk) crashing
on his FreeBSD.

Ignore the "download did not succeed" part of that message; what's
relevant is the "Bus error (core dumped)".  At that time, he was
pointing the pretest tlmgr to an old repo (via CTAN), but after more
testing, we (he) discovered the crash happens even after a simple
"Update all installed" when pointing to a pretest repo.  Thus, GUI mode
is basically useless on FreeBSD as it stands.  The update itself happens
ok, but it crashes afterward.  His 8mb log (with -vv) ends with:

--end of output of fmtutil-sys --no-error-if-no-engine=luajittex,mfluajit --byfmt lualollipop.Completed.
DD:TLPDB new: verify = 0
DD:pre_select = texlive.infra
[ends]

Not very illuminating.

Anyway, clearly it's a bug in Perl::Tk on that system, but the odd thing
is that this did not happen in our previous releases.  Can you guess at
what might have changed to trigger the bug?  The GUI printing of the
"(verified)" somehow?

No crashes in terminal mode; only GUI.

Nikola will surely be happy to send full logs or do any tests, if you
have any ideas.  (Nikola, please correct me if I got stuff wrong.)

Thanks,
Karl