[tex-live] OT2 vs. T2A; compilation by apache user issues

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Tue Feb 25 11:43:46 CET 2014

> Zdenek Wagner <zdenek.wagner at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I see the very same error message as Mario even if a correct font is
>> found.
>
> i responded to a message saying it couldn't find an fd for lm+(ot2|t2),
> which you won't get if a "correct font" (i.e., one with an appropriate
> fd file) is found.
>
> no matter, having _one_ person read what i wrote is a good strike rate,
> in my mind.
>
>> The problem occurs when hyperref is trying to send the section
>> name to the outlines. If I use \texorpdfstring to use Cyrillic in the
>> section title and Latin in outlines, everything works.
>
> of course, you could use cmap or mmap (i don't remember which is
> "better") to put the appropriate unicode into the pdf for those things.
>
> ... and that would work whether or not you're using utf-8 input, or
> overriding it with \texorpdfstring.

No, you mix two things. You can map a text printed in PDF to unicode
which allows you to search in PDF or copy from PDF and paste
elsewhere. You can achieve it by several means but even if you do not
do this, the PDF file is viewable and printable. Outlines are another
issue. As default, they are in AdobeStandardEncoding which contains
Western-European characters. You can prepend BOM in order to inform
the PDF viewer that the string is in unicode. Even if you manage to
insert Cyrillic to the outlines and forget to insert BOM, it will
still work, the only problem will be that garbage will be displayed.
However, the way from the argument of \section to the outline is long.
The argument is first written (as \@contentsline) to \jobname.aux,
then to \jobname.toc and finally to \jobname.out from which it is
taken when creating the PDF commands for outlines. Macros declarec by
\DeclareRobustCommand survive this long journey but this is not the
case of the Cyrillic characters converted to multibyte active
characters by the inputenc package. They go properly to \jobname.toc
but are apparently expanded during the way from \jobname.toc to
\jobname.out.

--
Zdeněk Wagner
http://hroch486.icpf.cas.cz/wagner/