[tex-live] enquiry regarding Ukrainian "і" encoded as Latin "i" in Latex

David Carlisle d.p.carlisle at gmail.com
Mon Dec 2 18:03:44 CET 2013

On 2 December 2013 13:55, Semen Trygubenko / Семен Тригубенко <
semen at trygub.com> wrote:

> Dear Members of tex-live at tug.org,
> I'm having the following problem with inputenc package:
> Ukrainian letter "і" is substituted with Latin "i" during compilation.
> Letters look identical so it is not a problem for displaying text, but
> it makes it hard to search inside the generated pdf using conventional
> means.
> Here's the illustration:
> test.tex :
> --
> \documentclass{article}
> \usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
> \usepackage[T2A]{fontenc}
> \begin{document}
> прив(і)т
> \end{document}
> --
> latex test.tex
> produces test.dvi . Inspection of test.dvi will reveal that the word is
> encoded correctly but the letter that I parenthesised
> appears as "(i)", i.e. it is incorrectly encoded.
> Could you please help me fix it or point me to someone who could help
> further?
> Many thanks in advance,
> Semen Trygubenko
> --
> Семен Тригубенко http://trygub.com

the texlive team can only distribute what is in the LaTeX distribution, so
the place to report problems with inputenc is the latex bug database at

However looking at the T2A encoding that you are using

texdoc encguide page 23

I only see one i character. Perhaps I missed something? Is there a
character representing i in T2A ?

Classic TeX has to make compromises to fit everything into 256-character
fonts, you can get more natural unicode encodings in the generated file by
using xelatex or lualatex.