[tex-live] enquiry regarding Ukrainian "і" encoded as Latin "i" in Latex

Semen Trygubenko / Семен Тригубенко semen at trygub.com
Mon Dec 2 14:55:11 CET 2013

Dear Members of tex-live at tug.org,

I'm having the following problem with inputenc package:
Ukrainian letter "і" is substituted with Latin "i" during compilation.
Letters look identical so it is not a problem for displaying text, but
it makes it hard to search inside the generated pdf using conventional means.

Here's the illustration:

test.tex :

latex test.tex

produces test.dvi . Inspection of test.dvi will reveal that the word is encoded correctly but the letter that I parenthesised
appears as "(i)", i.e. it is incorrectly encoded.

Could you please help me fix it or point me to someone who could help further?

Many thanks in advance,
Semen Trygubenko

Семен Тригубенко http://trygub.com