[tex-live] TL13 status

Philip TAYLOR P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Mon Apr 8 13:24:55 CEST 2013

Zdenek Wagner wrote:

> 1. There are changes in the infrastructure, tlmgr changes. In unix
> systems it is possible to upgrade from TL'n to TL'n+1, I used it to
> upgrade from TL'11 to TL;12. The instructions say that it is not
> possible in Windows.

This part I (sort of) understand, yet I still feel that it should
be possible to replace one infrastructure with another during an
upgrade (with, of course, the possibility to roll back if it fails,
until such time as a more reliable upgrade is offered).

> 2. Compilation of binaries require a lot of work by several people in
> order to make them for all platforms. That's why they are prepared
> once a year. This ensures that the same version is compiled for all
> platforms and thus the TeX files should be portable.

That part is less clear.  I understand the work required, but the
release schedule could be as it is now (i.e., once per year).  And
when the new binaries are released, the upgrade would (should)
automatically include any necessarily-changed versions of the related
non-binary files.

** Phil.