[tex-live] TL13 status

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Mon Apr 8 13:18:41 CEST 2013

2013/4/8 Philip TAYLOR <P.Taylor at rhul.ac.uk>:

> Zdenek Wagner wrote:
>
>> I've been using TL'12 almost since its beginning and I have only found
>> a bug in my package and it is now fixed. Anyway, you do not use LaTeX,
>> so my package is of no concern to you.
>
> Thank you, Zdeněk.  In fact, although I do not use LaTeX
> by choice, I sometimes have to when collaborating with
> others, so even bugs in LaTeX packages /could/ be a reason
> for non-adoption.  The thought that increasingly interests
> me, though, is /why/ do we have TL'01, '02, ..., '13++ ?
> Why can we not just have TeX Live, so that one can update
> one's installation regardess of when it was installed ?
> I am sure the answer is clear to some; it is less clear to me.

1. There are changes in the infrastructure, tlmgr changes. In unix
systems it is possible to upgrade from TL'n to TL'n+1, I used it to
upgrade from TL'11 to TL;12. The instructions say that it is not
possible in Windows.

2. Compilation of binaries require a lot of work by several people in
order to make them for all platforms. That's why they are prepared
once a year. This ensures that the same version is compiled for all
platforms and thus the TeX files should be portable.

--
Zdeněk Wagner
http://hroch486.icpf.cas.cz/wagner/