[tex-live] auto-remove (was: Bidi is gone!?)

Martin Schröder martin at oneiros.de
Tue Apr 2 18:32:25 CEST 2013

2013/4/2 Norbert Preining <preining at logic.at>:
> On Di, 02 Apr 2013, Herbert Voss wrote:
>> For TL 2013 can we please set "auto-remove" to false??
>
> I understand your request, but we are not happy with setting
> auto-remove to false. The reason is that *normally* packages
> are not removed, and removals are actually either renames,
> up superseeds. So disabling autor-remove will make it in
> *most* cases much worse for the users.
>
> I agree that it is not optimal, and maybe one *could* think about
> a way to distinguish these changes, but nothing the current
> infrastructur can handle, unfortunately.

Could we then please get an option during installation to set
auto-remove to false? And make auto-remove easily configurable from
the gui?

During the latest DANTE meeting a prominent member stated that he no
longer recommends or supports TL for his colleagues, as its
auto-remove makes its update break working installations "just because
someone somewhere did another license audit".

I know auto-remove can be configured, but I kindly ask to either
rethink the current default setting or make it easier to change the
current default.

Respectfully
   Martin