[tex-live] tlmgr "Update all installed" via commandline?

Kevin Godby godbyk at gmail.com
Tue Sep 4 01:55:02 CEST 2012

Hello, Karl.

On Mon, Sep 3, 2012 at 6:25 PM, Karl Berry <karl at freefriends.org> wrote:
> That should not matter.  We check for whether perldoc is in PATH.
> Specifically, the help output is constructed from the pod by calling the
> Perl function pod2usage (http://perldoc.perl.org/Pod/Usage.html), and
> pass the -noperldoc option if perldoc is not in PATH.
>
> If I remove all the perldocs in my PATH and run tlmgr --help, I do still
> see the help msg, not the script.
>
> If someone can give a recipe to reproduce seeing the script from using
> --help, we can try to fix it.

I'm happy to help track down the problem as I've encountered it myself.

First, a dummy /usr/bin/perldoc executable is provided by the perl
Ubuntu package. This perldoc script contains only the following:

    #!/bin/sh
    # place-holder, diverted by perl-doc
    echo You need to install the perl-doc package to use this program. >&2
    exit 1

So the call to TeXLive::TLUtils::which("perldoc") returns
"/usr/bin/perldoc" and therefore the noperldoc option is set to 0.

I'm not familiar enough with perldoc or pod2usage, so I can't say what
happens next without doing some more digging, but the end result is
that the source of the tlmgr script is loaded into the pager.

Installing the perl-doc Ubuntu package replaces the /usr/bin/perldoc
script with one that calls Pod::Perldoc->run();

If I can provide more information, please let me know.

Thanks!

--Kevin Godby