[tex-live] I can not find pdftex.cfg in texlive2011 .

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 23:24:17 CET 2012

2012/2/3 waterloo <waterloo2005 at gmail.com>:
> I find an error:
>   gsftopk: fatal: map file `ln9.map' not found.
>
> I have copy all map files to TEXMFLOCAL/pdftex/local/config/ (I use portable
> installation).
> I think it is the matter of pdftex.map file.
> pdftex.map is also in TEXMFLOCAL/pdftex/local/config/ .
>
> I think the manuls are too old and too dificult for newbie like me.

The problem is that you read the old manuals instead of the right
ones. If you get any piece of software, you can assume that it comes
with manuals and cannot expect that all manuals available from other
unrelated sources reflect any particular piece of software. Some time
ago you asked where to find information, I suggested manuals of updmap
and tlmgr, Here texdoc is your tool and "texdoc texdoc" tells you how
to use it. In addition, users are not expected to interact directly
with the internals. The internal are not described in the user
manuals, if you want to understand them, you have to study the code of
the supporting scripts. You spend month studying them and finally you
find that it was much better to read and follow the user manuals.

As already suggested in this thread, the steps are simple:

1. Put ln9.map to a directory below TEXMFLOCAL/fonts/map, PFB files to
a directory below TEXMFLOCAL/fonts/type1, TFM files to a directory
below TEXMFLOCAL/fonts/tfm, if you have other files, locate similar
files under texmf-dist and build a similar directory structure below
TEXMFLOCAL

2. Run mktexlsr

3. Run updmap-sys --enable Map=ln9.map

It should now work (unless you have managed to damage your font
configuration). If your font configuration is damaged, you shouw
follow the next steps (but you should do them anyway). If you update
your TeX Live, the manual changes made in step 3 will be lost. In
order to keep them, create file TEXMFLOCAL/web2c/updmap-local.cfg
containing the following line:

Map ln9.map

Run mktexlsr

If the fonts did not work after step 3, you should regenerate the
correct font maps. Use the following command:

tlmgr generate updmap

This will remove all your manual changes from the map files, create
the fresh files and add correctly formatted lines from
updmap-local.cfg to all internal structures. "tlmgr --help" will give
you this information.

Is this that difficult to follow?

--
Zdeněk Wagner