[tex-live] dvipdfmx on CentOS 5.6 (glibc 2.5)

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Tue Apr 17 02:27:36 CEST 2012

Hi Karen,

On Di, 17 Apr 2012, Karen Ellrick wrote:
> I thought so, but...  Perhaps there is an inconsistency in the
> documentation.  http://www.tug.org/texlive/quickinstall.html talks of a
> structure just like what I have after running install-tl.  But
> http://www.tug.org/texlive/build.html (and your comments like the one

You are mixing two things here:
The quickinstall is for *USERS*, those installing TeX Live
THe build.html is for those building the binaries, so to say developers.

Normal users should not have the need to actually *build* texlive,
but simply use install-tl to install it, and everything should work
(besides the cases when binaries don't work, which is a pain)

> I don't know if I care for them or not.  I did use tlmgr to add uptex,
> etc. to the original installation of TL, per the instructions on
> http://tutimura.ath.cx/ptexlive/?tlptexlive%A5%EA%A5%DD%A5%B8%A5%C8%A5%EA
> - it seemed like a nice simple-to-use tool.  But I don't know the
> alternatives or anything - I'm really quite clueless... ;)

There are no alternatives. If you keep your own compiled binaries
in .../x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu you are fine, they will NOT be
overwritten. So for most cases that should be fine.

After TL2012 is released, please try it, too (or one of the test
releases we will announce here). Maybe the new binaries also work
for you, after which you don't need your local construction anymore.
You can install both at the same time, in parallel, you only
have to adjust the PATH properly to select the one or the other.

Enjoy Hanami, is it still fully going on in Osaka? Here in Kanazawa
we are now at 100%. Very nice!

Best wishes

Norbert