[tex-live] dvipdfmx on CentOS 5.6 (glibc 2.5)

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Sun Apr 15 15:12:59 CEST 2012

Hi Karen,

On So, 15 Apr 2012, Karen Ellrick wrote:
> Wow, what a comfort to have several people trying to help!  Thanks to

Normal for the TeX community.

>> There you should get updates to most programs, plus pxdvi which allows
>> you to see the dvi file generated.
> I was already using that page as my main reference - the link was given
> to me by Takuji Tanaka when I wrote to him directly asking for help.
> But I had only used the "Installation procedure" section, not "Compiling
> binaries".  I think I had gotten the source files via "rsync -a --delete
> --exclude=.svn tug.org::tldevsrc ." before I understood that there were
> binaries that might work.

THat is fine.

> Now I am going to ignore all that and start from scratch using your way.
> I hope that the end result will be a set of binaries for CentOS 5.6 that
> will also be useful for your collection.

It will not change anything, if you cannot compile normal binaries
for TeX Live, since it is the same code.

> But I'm still running into problems.  I did the following:

I see, yeah, the patches are outdated since xdvi was recently
updated. Fixing it now.

>       #define XDVI_VERSION "22.84.16"
>    + #define JPVERSION "j1.41-ptexlive"
>
>       #ifdef MOTIF
>       #define XDVI_GUI "(Motif toolkit)"
>
> Presumably you know what that means - to me it just looks like a little
> piece of a diff file comparing comments.  Anyway, what should I do next?

Add the line
	#define JPVERSION "j1.41-ptexlive"
just after the definition
	#define XDVI_VERSION "22.85"
that is the only wrong thing.

> Fluent is probably not the right word, but I get by.  Missionary in
> Japan for 16 years, most recently specializing in resource development,
> or in my own terms, "techy solutions to non-techy problems".  My current
> project is a database for contact information (well, more complex than
> just that, but...), and the role I'm trying to use TeX for is to print
> addresses on envelopes (in tategaki [vertical]) based on selected data.
> It seems like it shouldn't be too hard, but if I have this many problems
> even installing it... (:-o)

Good luck!!!!

Best wishes

Norbert