[tex-live] Possible corrupt file in install tarball

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Thu Apr 12 18:09:30 CEST 2012

Karen Ellrick <osakawebbie at gmail.com> wrote:

> It's possible that this is just something only in my download (I didn't
> try downloading again), but I thought I should let you know in case you
> want to check the original.
>
> I'm using a VPS with CentOS 5.6. I did "wget
> http://mirror.ctan.org/systems/texlive/tlnet/install-tl-unx.tar.gz",
> untarred it, cd-ed to its directory, and ran install-tl as instructed.
> But when installing all the files, it choked on eiad.doc.tar.xz, saying
> the file was an unrecognized format. I tried to run xz on it manually
> but it still failed. Since the filename seemed to indicate that it was
> only a documentation file, I simply deleted it and ran the install
> again, and this time it completed with no more errors, installing the
> "x86_64-linux" package. I haven't done much to use the program yet, but
> the basic "latex small2e" test worked.

i suspect it is to do with your download.  my ctan holds the primary
mirror of tl, and the file doesn't show the effect reading the stuff
direct from the archive discs.

note, i've not tried to install it, merely checked the file.

can you say which mirror your install was using?

Robin Fairbairns

For the CTAN team