[tex-live] installing tex-live

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Mon Aug 8 17:28:24 CEST 2011

2011/8/8 Marion Wenty <marion.wenty at gmail.com>:
> hello,
> thank you for your reply. i tried to find the syntax in the
> manual http://www.tug.org/texlive/doc/texlive-en/texlive-en.pdf but couldn't
> find it (or on other sites) ... also, i do not know if i have to write it
> into the prompt of the utilities menu? and, i don't know where to i can copy
> it to because the programme takes up so much space.
> marion

If you just copy the tree, you have no menu, it will be created by
tlmgr. You have to use the command prompt. First you have to locate
the directory where TL was installed. It will probably be in a
directory named texlive and the name of the important directory is
2011. You have to copy this tree (and optionally also texmf-local, but
it will probably be empty after fresh install). After you copy it to
your computer, change directory:

cd ...\texlive\2011\bin\win32

This directory contains among others tlmgr.exe. Now try:

tlmgr --help

This will display the manual. I have had no time to install TL 2011
yet but I hope it is more or less the same as in TL 2010. Two actions
are important for you, this is the help of 2010:

       path [--w32mode=user│admin] [add│remove]

       On Unix adds or removes symlinks for binaries, man pages, and
info pages in the directories specified by the
       respective options (see above).

       On Windows, the registry part where the binary directory is
added or removed is determined in the following
       way:

       If the user has admin rights, and the option "--w32mode" is not
given, the setting w32_multi_user determines
       the location (i.e., if it is on then the system path, otherwise
the user path is changed).

       If the user has admin rights, and the option "--w32mode" is
given, this option determines the path to be
       adjusted.

       If the user does not have admin rights, and the option
"--w32mode" is not given, and the setting
       w32_multi_user is off, the user path is changed, while if the
setting w32_multi_user is on, a warning is
       issued that the caller does not have enough privileges.

       If the user does not have admin rights, and the option
"--w32mode" is given, it must be user and the user path
       will be adjusted. If a user without admin rights uses the
option "--w32mode admin" a warning is issued that
       the caller does not have enough provileges.

       postaction [--w32mode=user│admin] [--fileassocmode=1│2] [--all]
[install│remove] [shortcut│fileassoc│script]
       [pkg]...

       Carry out the postaction "shortcut", "fileassoc", or "script"
given as the second required argument in install
       or remove mode (which is the first required argument), for
either the packages given on the command line, or
       for all if "--all" is given.

       The option "--w32mode" is "user" all actions will only carried
out in the user accessible parts of the reg-
       istry/filesystem, while the "admin" mode selects the system
wide parts of the registry for the file associa-
       tions.  Note that if you do not have enough permissions using
"--w32mode=admin" will not succeed.

       For the postaction "fileassoc" the mode can be set with
"--fileassocmode".  If it is set to 1, only new asso-
       cations are added, if it is set to 2, all associations are set
to the TeX Live programs.

After "tlmgr path ..." and "tlmgr postaction ..." it should work.