[tex-live] The adforn package.
cfrees at imapmail.org
cfrees at imapmail.org
Tue Oct 5 21:26:27 CEST 2010
On Tue 5th Oct, 2010 at 20:00, Robin Fairbairns seems to have written:
> cfrees at imapmail.org wrote:
>> My instinct is therefore to rename the fd file to uornementsadf.fd.
>> However, I don't really understand what is going on here so this isn't
>> necessarily the best thing to do. It is complicated by the fact that in
>> the adfsymbols case, things which worked for me didn't work for a user
>> on a different system, so I can't just assume that if I fix it for OS
>> X, it will work generally.
> latex sets up the name and then lowercases it. *then* it loads the .fd
> using the name it's created (after lowercase).
> so i would have expected your mixed-case name to fail on *nix systems,
> but not on macos (which i assumed to be no more than a case-preserving
> system). i was wrong about macos. amusing post by claire (sp?)
> yesterday about the weirdness of macos, but it's not relevant to this
although it does make it interesting to fix because something like
mv uOrnementsADF.fd uornementsadf.fd
will fail since you cannot rename a file to its existing name!
even more confusingly, the rename "succeeds" according to the system
(exit 0) and no error message is produced. but no change is made to the
lowercase warning: new name for uOrnementsADF.fd already exists
and also makes no change to the name.
this is one of the few things which it is actually easier to do in
"Finder" than on the command line.
to do it on the command line, I basically use a script which appends an
'x' to the name first and then renames the file back... the need to do
this is, imnsho, crazy.
> the rule is that .fd file names have to be *all in lower case*. you can
> call the font whatever you like, within the doc, just so long as the
> file itself is all lower case.
> and no, i don't know anywhere that the rule is documented.
weirdly, when I went to change the copy I kept in case the fonts are
updated and I need to update the package, I found the file was already
named uornementsadf.fd. so I think I must have corrected that in the
light of the adfsymbols experience but never gotten around to uploading
a fixed archive to CTAN.
apologies for the confusion.
More information about the tex-live