[tex-live] your eqexam package

Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard mpg at elzevir.fr
Fri Jul 9 16:15:02 CEST 2010

Le 09/07/2010 15:46, Ralph Martin a écrit :
> Finding, and installing, the package and its documentation
> makes things awkward for ordinary users

We're very well aware of that: TeX Live and especially tlmgr wouldn't exist
otherwise...

But again, we're *not* removing packages, only the documentation files without
sources. And grabbing a pdf file from a CTAN mirror is not that difficult (as
opposed to install TeX packages in general).

> - a bit like having to ride a bicycle.
>
> OK, the analogy has gone too far.

I think so :-)

> But what I was trying to point out was that the argument about having
> documentation source is an issue of principles, yet most people are prepared
> to be pragmatic rather than principled when the benefits are high enough.
> Please note that this is not aimed at anyone in particular, just an
> observation on human nature. I'm just trying to point out the benefits to the
> "ordinary user" of being pragmatic.

There are also very pragmatic benefits to free software and free documentation,
it is not only a issue of principles (at least IMO).

Manuel.