[tex-live] TL 2010 installation does not correctly set path in presence of TL 2009

Philip Taylor (Webmaster, Ret'd) P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Tue Jul 6 23:29:20 CEST 2010

Reinhard Kotucha wrote:

 > I assume that you are talking about the log file.  I don't have a log
 > file containing any error or warning messages.  Do you think it's
 > sufficient to display all lines beginning with "Error:" or "Warning:"
 > at the end?

Yes, so long as we detect that there are one or more such lines
and then precede them with a bold alert : SEE BELOW -- SOME ERRORS
OR WARNINGS WERE ENCOUNTERED.

 > Parsing the log file has some drawbacks.  If a message contains line
 > breaks, for instance, we only get the first line.  But the advantage
 > of this approach is that we don't have to modify the installer itself.
 > Parsing the log file can even be done by a separate program.
 >
 > And even if a multi-line message is truncated, I think that it's
 > helpful to provide the line number of its occurrence in the log file.
 >
 > I can imagine better solutions but I don't think it's a good idea to
 > add new features to the installer itself a few days before it's carved
 > in stone.

Ah well, I should have started pre-testing sooner :-)

** Phil.