[tex-live] TL 2010 installation does not correctly set path in presence of TL 2009

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Tue Jul 6 23:23:04 CEST 2010

On 6 July 2010 Philip Taylor (Webmaster, Ret'd) wrote:

 > T T wrote:
 >
 > > Windows doesn't allow for user path to take precedence over the
 > > system path, as Manuel already noted.  There is nothing we do
 > > about this one.
 >
 > Agreed : Microsoft write "the user path is appended to the system path. "

 > >> It seems to me the installer is already doing that. From Phil's

I assume that you are talking about the log file.  I don't have a log
file containing any error or warning messages.  Do you think it's
sufficient to display all lines beginning with "Error:" or "Warning:"
at the end?

Parsing the log file has some drawbacks.  If a message contains line
breaks, for instance, we only get the first line.  But the advantage
of this approach is that we don't have to modify the installer itself.
Parsing the log file can even be done by a separate program.

And even if a multi-line message is truncated, I think that it's
helpful to provide the line number of its occurrence in the log file.

I can imagine better solutions but I don't think it's a good idea to
add new features to the installer itself a few days before it's carved
in stone.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25