[tex-live] TeX Live Manager update does work because of obsoleted records in tlpdb

Peter Cibulka Peter.Cibulka at seznam.cz
Wed Sep 23 20:27:57 CEST 2009

> From: T T <t34www at googlemail.com>
> Date: 23.9.2009 19:40:32
> 2009/9/23 Peter Cibulka <Peter.Cibulka at seznam.cz>:
> > I'm unable to update my TeX Live installation.
> [big snip]
> > TeX Live (http://tug.org/texlive) version 2008
>
> TL'08 has been frozen and there will be no more updates for it. You
> can either install the pretest version of TL'09 or wait for the
> official release (should happen real soon now).

Thank you (and others) for explanation.
I have thought that CTAN package updates are independent of initial TeX Live installation ...
My mistake. Number 2008 is included in the source path ...
It means that I can't achieve TL'09 by automatic updates of TL'08. Periodic DVD installation is still necessary ...
Moreover I can't rely on TeX Live Manager updates because I don't know if tlpdb is up to date ...

I will wait for the TL'09 official release and in the meantime I will install packages to texmf-local.
... and after sucessfull TL'09 installation I will have to delete them ... :-(

Cheers
Peter