[tex-live] Installation of TL09 on Debian 5.0.3 failed to begin today

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 11:32:58 CEST 2009

On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 12:23 AM, Vafa Khalighi <vafa at users.berlios.de> wrote:
> Today, I tried to install TL09 on my Debian machine (v5.03 i386) and the
> TeXlive installer failed to begin the installation because it could not
> recognise the operating system, but TL08 could do it. Anyway, this is what I
> have got
>
> ./tlpkg/installer/config.guess: unable to guess system type

This problem can arise if a "nonstandard" version of one of the
utilities such as uname, hostinfo, arch, etc is present on the
system.  There could also be problems with different /bin/sh
implementations (e.g., dash).   The config.guess script is
widely used, so if you have only the standard versions of
the utilities, there is a good chance the problem has been
fixed by now.

> This script, last modified 2009-08-19, has failed to recognize
> the operating system you are using. It is advised that you
> download the most up to date version of the config scripts from
>

> http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=config.git;a=blob_plain;f=config.guess;hb=HEAD
> and
>
> http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=config.git;a=blob_plain;f=config.sub;hb=HEAD
>
> If the version you run (./tlpkg/installer/config.guess) is already up to
> date, please
> send the following data and any information you think might be
> pertinent to <config-patches at gnu.org> in order to provide the needed
> information to handle your system.
>
> config.guess timestamp = 2009-08-19
>
> uname -m = i686
> uname -r = 2.6.26-2-686
> uname -s = Linux
> uname -v = #1 SMP Wed Aug 19 06:06:52 UTC 2009
>
> /usr/bin/uname -p =
> /bin/uname -X     =
>
> hostinfo               =
> /bin/universe          =
> /usr/bin/arch -k       =
> /bin/arch              =
> /usr/bin/oslevel       =
> /usr/convex/getsysinfo =
>
> UNAME_MACHINE = i686
> UNAME_RELEASE = 2.6.26-2-686
> UNAME_SYSTEM  = Linux
> UNAME_VERSION = #1 SMP Wed Aug 19 06:06:52 UTC 2009
> install-tl: could not run ./tlpkg/installer/config.guess, cannot proceed,
> sorry at tlpkg/TeXLive/TLUtils.pm line 208.
>

> --
> Vafa

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia