[tex-live] texdoc bug

Edd Barrett vext01 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 15 23:20:05 CEST 2009

Hi,

I found a minor bug in texdoc. It looks like if you are using the
deprecated envoronment variables, the new variables are ignored.

For example see here how TEXDOCVIEW_pdf interferes with PDFVIEWER:

Having both TEXDOCVIEW_pdf and PDFVIEWER set, causes the default viewer
to be used.
---8<---
ire% export PDFVIEWER=epdfview
ire% texdoc listings
texdoc warning: Environment variable TEXDOCVIEW_pdf deprecated. See the
manual
	section ?.?, ?.? for details.
texdoc warning: Environment variable TEXDOCVIEW_dvi deprecated. See the
manual
	section ?.?, ?.? for details.
texdoc warning: Environment variable TEXDOCVIEW_html deprecated. See the
manual
	section ?.?, ?.? for details.
texdoc warning: Environment variable TEXDOCVIEW_txt deprecated. See the
manual
	section ?.?, ?.? for details.
sh: xpdf: not found
---8<---

Now if we unset the deprecated TEXDOCVIEW_pdf, only then is PDFVIEWER
honoured:
---8<---
ire% unset TEXDOCVIEW_pdf
ire% texdoc listings
texdoc warning: Environment variable TEXDOCVIEW_dvi deprecated. See the
manual
	section ?.?, ?.? for details.
texdoc warning: Environment variable TEXDOCVIEW_html deprecated. See the
manual
	section ?.?, ?.? for details.
texdoc warning: Environment variable TEXDOCVIEW_txt deprecated. See the
manual
	section ?.?, ?.? for details.
---8<---

Thanks