[tex-live] TL 2009 not installing URW Garamond ?

Philip TAYLOR P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Mon Oct 12 13:40:03 CEST 2009

Robin Fairbairns wrote:

> sigh.  strangely enough, we didn't search every file on ctan (cs. 12k of
> them) when we did away with the nonfree tree.
>
> mind you, i'm not sure the urw fonts ever were on nonfree (and i'm not
> about to search the transaction history to find out).

OK, but it was a serious question : how is one supposed to know
that CTAN (in its infinite wisdom) has classified URW Garamond
as non-free ?  If, for example, I visit the TeX Catalogue and
search for Garamond, I find it included in the Free_Math_Font_Survey.
Furthermore, if I follow the link to Licences and then back
to the Sarovar version of the Catalogue, and use the
A-Z Index to find URW Garamond, I read

"This bundle provides a set of Adobe Type-1 fonts which
 URW has made available for free under the Aladdin Free
 Public License:"

So where /is/ the information that CTAN has classified URW Garamond
as "non-free", and given the above quotation, on what basis was
this decision made ?

** Phil.