[tex-live] Package documentation

Julian Gilbey jdg at polya.uklinux.net
Tue Mar 25 15:56:26 CET 2008

Hi wonderful people!

I've been noticing that the CTAN team is wisely becoming reluctant to
install typeset versions of the dtx files, since they have a habit of
becoming outdated.  This makes a lot of sense.  However, I am now
hitting a new snag: when I want documentation on some packages when
using the Debian 2007 (testing) texlive packages, it seems that I have
to go to CTAN to download the documentation or dtx files.  I don't
know whether this is because I simply haven't found the documentation
on my system or whether it's not been built.  One example that I've
recently had was the changebar package.

I wonder whether it's feasible to automatically build the
documentation into the appropriate texlive packages?

   Julian