[tex-live] input

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 19:20:12 CET 2008

2008/2/26, Philip Taylor (Webmaster) <P.Taylor at rhul.ac.uk>:

>  Zdenek Wagner wrote:
>
>  > It might not work. For security reasons it may be forbidden to use
>  > absolute path or even read a file residing in a parent directory. It
>  > would be better to put such a file to a subdirectory under
>  > texmf-var/tex or texmf-local/tex.
>

> Well, leaving aside the issue of how TeX might "forbid"
>  such things (would it still be TeX if it did this ?),
>  how then can the user specify with absolute certainty
>  that it is /his/ "MyTeXlib[.tex]" that he wishes to
>  reference, rather than simply the first file of that
>  name found in TeX's search path ?

Sometimes by modifying texmf.cnf. This is part of my texmf.cnf in TL2007:
% Allow TeX \openin, \openout, or \input on filenames starting with `.'
% (e.g., .rhosts) or outside the current tree (e.g., /etc/passwd)?
% a (any)        : any file can be opened.
% r (restricted) : disallow opening "dotfiles".
% p (paranoid)   : as 'r' and disallow going to parent directories, and
%                  restrict absolute paths to be under $TEXMFOUTPUT.
openout_any = p
openin_any = a

--
Zdeněk Wagner