[tex-live] Removal of csplain from Debian

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Thu Sep 6 22:28:40 CEST 2007

Robin Fairbairns <Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk> writes:

> Petr Olsak <petr at olsak.net> wrote:
>
>> No comment.
>
> but snide remarks in csplain.ini ...
>
> fwiw, i don't like licences either, but i understand the importance, for
> distributors, of a clear understanding of the licence conditions on
> things that they distribute.
>
>> Please, see ftp://math.feld.cvut.cz/pub/cstex/base/csplain.tar.gz
>> or ftp://math.feld.cvut.cz/pub/olsak/csplain/csplain.ini
>
> norbert asked that you upload to ctan: he didn't know that we mirror
> from your site.  i've run the mirror, just now, and pushed the result
> out to the other ctan sites.
>
> so ... if your licence statement is deemed acceptable, we're now set for
> whatever it is we were trying to do.

    This macro package (csplain.ini, il2code.tex, csfonts.tex, hyphen.lan,
    plaina4.tex) is free software; you can use it without any restriction.
    You can redistribute it under the following condition:

    You can do any changes in this software for your own usage. However,
    you cannot distribute the changed software under the same name
    "csplain".  Only the current administrator of CSTeX can do official
    changes to csplain.

This sort of restriction was what required the last LPPL changes, so
it would be my guess that whatever changes were done recently would
not actually be sufficient.  However, it is not clear what "under the
same name" actually means here: is it the file name, or the system
name?  With TeX, we have the system name as the inviolate component,
not the actual executable name.