[tex-live] Comment on Re: TeXLive-CD/DVD (Installation)

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Thu May 24 12:23:11 CEST 2007

Oliver Bandel <oliver at first.in-berlin.de> writes:

> On Thu, May 24, 2007 at 11:20:04AM +0200, David Kastrup wrote:
>
> OK, quoting mechanisms; but this is mostly ugly stuff, especially if
> the things to do get nested.
> A scripting language will be better to use then.

A shell _is_ a scripting language, and you will _always_ need quotes
for strings.

>> > So, we need to invent at least one shell, that does not have a
>> > problem with such names.
>>
>> None of them do.  You just need to do the stuff correctly, as in
>> "write a correct [installer] for *x which is surprisingly hard to do".
>
> OK.
>
> But it's hard to do, because the tools in use make it hard.

Nonsense.  The shell does not make it hard to work with quoted
strings.  It _additionally_ provides ways to work with _unquoted_
strings, and then you need to know what you are doing.

If you don't, that is not the fault of the tool.

--
David Kastrup