[tex-live] Comment on Re: TeXLive-CD/DVD (Installation)

Oliver Bandel oliver at first.in-berlin.de
Thu May 24 12:19:56 CEST 2007

On Thu, May 24, 2007 at 11:20:04AM +0200, David Kastrup wrote:
> Oliver Bandel <oliver at first.in-berlin.de> writes:

> > [...]
> >> >
> >> hm, this qualifies all osx users as insane as well as users from content
> >> management systems running on *ix or just simple users like me who store
> >> music collections (with titles and such having special chars) on a unix nas
> >
> > And btw. it's also possible to create filenames that have spaces
> > on the command line.
>
> Uh, you did read what I wrote above?

My comment was not intended to comment *aour* text, but
the text you already commented.

> > The problem is, that most (all?) shells doesn't handle them
> > correctly.
>
> Nonsense.  All shells have quoting mechanisms for special characters.

OK, quoting mechanisms; but this is mostly ugly stuff, especially if
the things to do get nested.
A scripting language will be better to use then.

> > So, we need to invent at least one shell, that does not have a
> > problem with such names.
>
> None of them do.  You just need to do the stuff correctly, as in
> "write a correct [installer] for *x which is surprisingly hard to do".

OK.

But it's hard to do, because the tools in use make it hard.

Ciao,
   Oliver