[tex-live] The suggestions (from tex-d-l) (Re: Comment on Re: TeXLive-CD/DVD (Installation))

Oliver Bandel oliver at first.in-berlin.de
Wed May 23 19:11:00 CEST 2007

On Wed, May 23, 2007 at 03:36:48PM +0200, Frank Kster wrote:
> Oliver Bandel <oliver at first.in-berlin.de> wrote:
>
> > Maybe also mechanical problems of the DVD....
> > ...so that maybe read-errors occur and the drive was slowed down?!
> >
> > I inserted the DVD to my Powerbook. It made a lot of sound.
> > Even when not reading from the DVD, it made a lot of sound,
> > and I think the DVD touches the drive and scratches around.
> >
> > This might be another problem.
>
> In other words, we might be spending valuable time and thinking-energy
> on a problem that was caused by broken hardware.

No, broken DVDs which are cheap and ....

...but that only was an assumption.
Other people also told that the DVD-installation
was time-consuming, so maybe they all have the black-sheep DVDs?

One could test the problem by copying the DVD to a new one
and install from the newly burned DVD. If it runs better
and faster, the DVD was the problem.

This only was a *possible* idea, I didn't said it was the reason.

Ciao,
   Oliver