[tex-live] fmtutil.cnf / TL2007

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Tue Jan 9 01:13:12 CET 2007

    not call this one TL2007

I propose "2006-07" (Hans and Jerzy concurred already in individual
mail).  The problem with just "2007" is that it will trouble all the
user group members who don't get their "2006" software.  And, as Staszek
pointed out, 98% of the work was done in 2006.

Also, "2006-07", unlike anything with a /, can be used as a directory
name.  (I would change the default install dir and user dir to use it, I
guess.)

Gerben, I agree it's a pain not to just have YYYY, but the above seems
like the clearest identification to me, given the state we're in.

    and plan TL2008 for January 2008?

The future is a mystery.

As for other methods of naming:

- I don't like version numbers, because in practice, people would very
  often give the wrong number, when it increments by one every year.
  This caused unnecessary confusion.  No other package I can think of
  increments a major version number yearly.

- I don't like code names.  They are meaningless, and one cannot be
  compared to another.  Well, I guess we could come up with code names
  starting with a, b, c, ... (sorry if that was proposed, there were too
  many msgs on this topic).  That might be ok, I guess.  I still rather
  think years are the clearest thing to do, though.

karl